Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Everything You've Done Wrong


Ten years ago today, something bad happened. We all know what it is. We all know that it was terrible, life-changing, and tragic. We all also know that terrible things happen all over the world, every day. Things that are equally tragic, but for many of us, the events of this day were the first time that such things could happen on our happy little continent.

I was 14 years old on September 11, 2001. Up to that point, my world was a pretty tiny place. I was aware that things went on in other parts of world, but at that time, unless something scary happened within the cozy confines of my neighbourhood, I really couldn't care less.

Everyone has their own 'where were you when you heard' story, and I'm sure mine is no more interesting than anyone else's. I was just as scared and confused as my classmates, except maybe the girl whose dad was in New York at the time (she soon found out he was okay).

I remember feeling deeply unsettled. I suddenly wasn't as invincible as I thought I was.

We stayed at school til the end of the day, and though no one knew what exactly was going on, the rumor mill was in full force. One girl said there was a war going on in New York that was making its way to Winnipeg, and that we might all be enlisted to fight. Even this seemed plausible in the uncertainty of the moment. And though I didn't really believe her, there was some truth to her thought - the fear would make its way to Winnipeg, and things would never really be the same.

When I got home that afternoon I instinctively put my favourite CD on the stereo. I needed something familiar to remind me that things had once been normal, that I could still feel safe though my peaceful little world had been rocked.

One Chord to Another. murderecords, 1996. Photo from Wikipedia.
The album was Sloan's One Chord to Another. I'd become obsessed with Sloan after overhearing one of my friend's cool older brothers listening to them one day. They reminded me of the Beatles, my mom's favourite band (a band that practically raised me), and I could relate to their simple Canadian-ness and pleasant hooks.

On that day I needed comfort. Everything You've Done Wrong is my favourite song on that album. It has nothing to do with terror or death or politics, and that's exactly why it helped me feel a bit better that day.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great blog concept - looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete