Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

This Year

I used to be one of those folks who was so completely overwhelmed by Twitter I didn't even bother with it. When I learned that having an account was a requirement for the program I'm in at Red River College, I had a brief moment of panic. I wasn't sure I'd be able to successfully navigate through a world filled with #s and @s and RTs and OMFGs.



I decided that Twitter must be okay when I started following the tweets of one of my favourite musicians, John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats. In my opinion, Darnielle is one of our greatest contemporary songwriters, and his tweets are no exception to his lyrical mastery. Each 140 character snippet provides an insight to his humor and genius. If Twitter's good enough for John Darnielle, it's good enough for me.

I now follow many of my favourite musicians, comedians, and other public figures. I've realised Twitter's a great tool for communication - it's an easy way to stay on top of current events and breaking news, as well as getting a much-needed laugh in the middle of a busy day. You can choose who to follow, so your home page isn't bombarded with messages like "omgzzzz tuna agin 4 lunch?!?! WTFFFF @mom!!!"

Now, here's a song* that's sure to get me through a hectic year at CreComm:



Also, I urge you to check out this clip of two of my all-around favourite people and Twitterers, John Darnielle and Stephen Colbert.  You may have to do some digging to find a clip that's available in Canada, but it will be well worth it when you do.





Photo from here.

 
So, what do you think, friends? Do you find Twitter useful? Who are you following?


*Yes, I realise this song is about much heavier things than school-related stress. I just like it is all.

3 comments:

  1. Twitter is useful for keeping up with CreComm grads -- so is LinkedIn.
    I also follow a bunch of news media and journalism sites. Check out my list and see what interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best ever for everything - including meeting people. I have so many stories about the great people I've met on Twitter, I don't know where to begin. Maybe with last week's guest speakers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting Twitter phenomenon I've noticed is when someone you don't personally know starts following you. What's the proper etiquette when you run into them in the halls at school? Pretend it never happened, or extend a friendly hello?

    ReplyDelete