Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Almost Ready

On my morning bus ride to school, I'm usually content to sit back and enjoy the relative silence of the ride. I leave my music device in my bag and absently listen to the murmurs of my fellow commuters and the hum of the bus rumbling along.

Last Friday, however, this early morning solace was disrupted. As I took my seat near the back door, it became apparent that the fellow behind me was blasting music on his personal listening device.

And not just any music. Guns N' freaking Roses.

Now, I'm not totally against Guns N' Roses. I just think there's a time and a place for them. Unfortunately, 7:30 AM on a packed downtown bus is neither that time, nor place.

I decided I had to fight fire with fire. Or in this case, rock with rock.

Dinosaur Jr. was the obvious choice. These guys can rock the pants off Axl and friends, but they do it in such an articulate, melodious way that it's not nearly so jarring first thing in the morning.





I generally try to avoid douchey language when describing music, but J Mascis freaking shreds on the guitar.

I don't even know if that's the proper way of saying "shreds" - do you shred on the guitar, or just in general? Anyway.

I saw Dinosaur Jr. at the Pyramid a couple years ago, and it was quite possibly the loudest show I've ever been to. I mean, there's only three guys in the band, but the stage was completely crammed with gear - their amps were pretty much the size of redwoods.

And just because they're that awesome, here's another video:



Needless to say, Dinosaur Jr. significantly improved my day last Friday.

Actually, it's safe to say they've significantly improved my life. Thanks, guys.


2 comments:

  1. How about the guy behind you?
    Did his life improve, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he kept listening to his music, and I listened to mine. I think we were both happy.

    ReplyDelete