Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Eli the Barrow Boy

My street. September 30, 2011.
I love this season.

Though the weather has been all over the place lately, fall can be put off no longer. In the span of one week, the leaves outside my living room window have gone from green to yellow to, well, gone.

There are certain artists that I can only listen to during a specific time of year. And despite their name, the Decemberists are strictly an autumn band for me.

This is probably because I discovered them when I was starting my first year of university; that magical time when I was meeting new people, learning new things, and perhaps most importantly, hearing new music.

I remember listening to the Decemberists on my discman while walking home from my evening class (Intro to Astronomy. I'd been so excited about that class, thinking I would learn about constellations, and aurora borealis, and maybe Zeus or something. Unfortunately, it was pretty much all physics and math. Though the many Carl Sagan videos we watched certainly sweetened the deal).

Wolseley Avenue. Some time ago.
This song always reminds me of crunching through the fallen leaves on a dark, cool evening. I loved walking home from school. I didn't have to worry about anything except putting one foot in front of the other. No matter how much reading I had to do or how many essays were due the next day, all I had to do at that exact moment was walk.

It was nice.

I don't listen to the Decemberists much anymore, but they sure helped me during that weird transition phase from kid to slightly-bigger-kid.

This song has been going through my head all week. The stress of school and work and trying to find money when there is none to be found has been getting to me. Listening to this song makes me feel better. It reminds me of walking up my old street, to my old home, where I knew my parents and cat and a warm meal were waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment