Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

YEAH (feat. Lil John and Ludacris)


 Everyone has guilty pleasures.

This is something I've struggled with over the years. I used to think I could only truly enjoy music that was genuine, pure, outside the mainstream. I scoffed at anything they played on the radio, and turned my nose up at MuchMusic (when they still played music).

I believed real musicians actually wrote all their own lyrics and played their own instruments, and anyone who did less was a pawn set forth by the corporate machine.

Such convictions are hard to shake, and, truthfully, a lot of my favourite bands do write and play their own music. But I also think that if a song is catchy, you can't deny that. No matter how shallow or talentless you may perceive a musician to be, a good song is a good song.

I hated when I liked a pop song. I would deny it and hide my true feelings as long as I could. I'm not sure when it happened, but I eventually realised that no one would hate me if I admitted to liking a popular song. And if they did, they weren't worth the time of day (sorry for the cheesy life-lesson, but it's true).

Usher's 2004 smash hit "Yeah", featuring Lil John and Ludacris, is one such song.  It played on the radio and TV in a seemingly continuous loop when I was an angsty teen. Due in part to its ubiquity, but mostly because it's a fantastic song, I just loved it.

And after repeated viewings of this video, I realised that Usher isn't a talentless doofus - the man can sing and dance like nobody's business. I'm not sure how many of his lyrics he wrote himself, but... I don't care.

 

Also, if you have ever had the pleasure of seeing me dance, this video is where I got most of my sweet moves. Except, you know, the awkward white girl versions.


What are your guilty pleasures, readers?

Should we even feel guilt about things we enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment