Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Prog-rocking out in Italy

In my last year of high school I went on a trip to Europe with a bunch of other kids. My school didn't sanction international trips after September 11th, so this was technically just a large group of students and teachers who happened to be traveling to Europe together at the same time

Picture from TuscanyPictures.com

We took in London, Paris, Florence, and Rome in the span of nine days. It was kind of a goofy way to see a continent, but in a way it was good. I know I'll go back to Europe one day, and now I don't have to go to all the cheesy tourist traps that we rushed through on that trip.

ANYWAY. I was absolutely obsessed with Pinback at the time, after hearing them on this radio station one evening while reading in my room. I listened to Summer in Abaddon on my discman as our tour bus rumbled through Tuscany.

There was something remarkable about listening to contemporary, progressive music while coasting through this beautiful, history-soaked country. But when the acoustic guitar comes in at the end of this song, it all just made sense.

 
Kind of a lame "video", but the song is lovely.

PS: I wouldn't really consider Pinback prog rock, but Wikipedia seems to think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment