Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Take Five

You said it, Schroeder. Picture from JazzCollector.com




After a battle with the omnipresent flu earlier this week, I decided to cheer myself up during a break between classes by heading down to the local music store. Into the Music is the best record shop in the city, and for a poor student like me, its proximity to school is downright dangerous. The above cartoon is pasted to their cash register and it gave me a much needed smile when I walked in.

My plan was to indulge in only one record, maybe two if I was feeling especially nutty, but I walked away with five records for a clean 50 dollars.

Oops.

Still, while spending money usually leaves me racked with guilt and self-loathing, I felt okay. I felt like these records were real investments, as necessary to me as food or rent or all them bills.

And I was lucky enough to have a real expert on hand.

See, I've been trying to broaden my horizons lately and start listening to more than the old stand-bys. I've always had an appreciation for jazz, but am just so clueless about it that I don't even know where to start.

So there I was, flicking aimlessly through stacks of Miles Davis, when a friendly gent asked what I was looking for. He didn't even work there; he was dressed in a nice shirt and tie and told me he worked nearby, but had to "escape the office" to come check out the new releases (or, old new releases, as much of the stock is used).

He told me that jazz was "just a hobby", then proceeded to walk me through the aisles and tell me which albums were worth it and which were self-indulgent nonsense. He had no ulterior motive; he was just a jazz nut eager to pass on his knowledge to someone who wanted to know more.

I'm no expert on music, but I've always prided myself on knowing a few things about it.  I can name some Beatles albums and tell you which famous rock drummers died and from what, yet here was this man who knew something about every jazz record in that store. And it was just a hobby. Holy smokes.

It was humbling.

Anyway, I realise I haven't mentioned a 'song that's saved my life' lately, so...


Dave Brubeck is about the only jazz artist I know. He deserves a post all to itself, and hopefully one day I will.

Just listen to this song, though. Listen to it on a rainy (or snowy) evening, pour yourself a glass of wine or a cup of tea, and feel content.

Thanks for reading. And if anyone out there has some great jazz to recommend, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Dave Brubeck perform at the Jazz Winnipeg Festival years ago - he's was great.

    ReplyDelete