Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

'Except Rap and Country'

I know this is a really lame thing to say, especially for someone who writes a music blog, but 
I hate when people ask me what kind of music I listen to.

I know! I'm a jerk.

I think it just feels like such a personal question to me. And I can never seem to come up with suitable answers to personal questions on the spot.

Also, I don't even really know what kind of music I like. I can name specific bands or artists, or albums, or songs. Even then - I may like one album from a certain band, but think the rest of their work stinks. So even calling myself a fan of that band wouldn't be true.

But narrowing it down to one genre? Can't do it.

Maybe I'm just over-analysing things.

Anyway, when I'm feeling particularly pressed, I'll just spout off the standard line that's featured on so many Facebook profiles:

"I like everything... Except rap and country."

But even that's not true! While I've never voluntarily listened to commercial country radio, some of my favourite music-makers fall comfortably into the country genre.

Just this week, my treks to and from school have been scored by Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans.

It doesn't get much more country than this guy.


Just try to be in a bad mood while you listen to this song:




So there you have it. My love of country is out there. I must admit my knowledge of rap is lacking, though this video does help to bridge the gap:





3 comments:

  1. I respect people who love their country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I get what you meant, Laina. You deleted my awesome comment! All it really said was listen to: Childish Gambino, Wu Tang Clan, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Scott Biram, Hank Williams, Hank III, and a bunch of albums called The Executioner's Last Songs.

    Don't delete me, bro!

    ReplyDelete